Yeah yeah, I know… I’m pretty sure this isn’t on anybody’s diet list, but man is it gooooooooood.
I don’t have exact amounts unfortunately, the measurements I do have are approximate, I do a lot of my cooking to taste and by eye-ball so you may have to play around to find the mix that works best for you. I also attached the two pics from my facebook that I took of the finished product. Hope you all like it.
1-1/2 lbs of lean ground turkey
2 cups of whole wheat bread crumbs
Turkey bacon (enough strips to wrap the meatloaf)
1 cup of crumbled sourdough bread
Apple Cider vinegar
KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce (original)
Low-fat/low moisture mozzarella (IMPORTANT: must be low-moisture or won’t cook proper)
3-4 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- Mix everything together except the tomatoes, cheese and bacon. I mixed in some of the BBQ sauce with the meat at this point in addition to basting the top with it.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay bacon slices lengthwise across the bottom of a well-greased loaf pan. Let the ends hang over the edge of the pan.
- Put approximately ½ the meat mix in the pan. Flatten it, forming a slight depression in the middle.
- Sprinkle ½ the cheese in the depression, then lay out the tomato slices on top of that, followed by another layer of cheese. Be sure to save enough slices and cheese to top the final product with.
- Put the remaining meat mixture on top and press down around the edge to seal the tomatoes and cheese in. Press the bacon edges into the sides of the loaf and then top with more bacon slices as needed.
- Baste the top with BBQ sauce and place in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Pull it out, top with remaining tomato slices and cheese and put additional sauce on it, if needed and place back in for another 5-10 minutes.
- Pull out, slice and enjoy. Internal temperature should reach at least 160 degrees.